Join an organization advocating for nurses and dedicated to improving the health of individuals and families in Washington state.
Labor Counsel #
The Washington State Nurses Association is the leading voice and advocate for nurses in Washington. We represent more than 17,000 collective bargaining members and the professional interests of more than 103,000 registered nurses. For more than 100 years, WSNA has championed issues that support nurses, advance professional standards, and improve the health of individuals and families in Washington state.
We are seeking a committed professional attorney with specialized experience in labor and employment law, dealing primarily with the relationships between employers and unions. Candidates must have experience in collective bargaining, both public and private preferred. Experience to include contract negotiations, drafting, and preparation.
Excellent communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills within and across departments and externally is required. Must be able to work independently and as a team player with flexibility and be willing to work on a broad range of legal matters.
Must be eligible for admission to Washington State Bar Association. Minimum 4 – 6 years of experience in labor law and must have demonstrated commitment to social justice and the labor movement.
The applicant should have excellent research, writing and analytical skills, be able to multi-task and manage multiple projects, be capable of handling assignments with minimal supervision, and work well in a collegial setting with other attorneys and staff. See the position description that follows.
Excellent benefits package. Women, people of color, and LGBTQ people encouraged to apply.
Labor Counsel represents WSNA in contract negotiations and provides consultation to WSNA staff. WSNA membership in labor relations matters before Federal, State and local regulatory agencies and courts.
Duties and Responsibilities Common to All Positions
- Supports WSNA Purpose, Mission, Vision, Goals
- Works with others, role modeling collaboration, communication and teamwork Strives for excellence in work performance
- Remains current in field of expertise
- Performs other duties as assigned to meet association needs including participation in staff teams, committees
- Acquires and maintains knowledge of Microsoft Office
Duties and Responsibilities
Consistent with the direction of the General Counsel(s):
- Represents WSNA and its members in contract negotiations, mediations and settlement meetings.
- Collaborates with staff in managing field campaigns and related communications.
- Develops and disseminates information through WSNA communication vehicles.
- Represents WSNA and its members in representation/decertification proceedings.
- Represents WSNA and its members in unfair labor practice proceedings.
- Represents WSNA and its members in arbitrations.
- Collaborates in the development and presentation of training programs for local unit officers and membership
- Remains current in labor law, rules and regulations of governing agencies that impact the Economic and General Welfare (E&GW) program and WSNA.
- Juris Doctorate required.
- Admission to the Washington State Bar required.
- Four to six years’ experience in labor law.
- Experience in labor relations, health care, economics preferred.
- Experience as labor negotiator including contract negotiations, writing contract language, costing contracts and coordinating related activities; serving as chief spokesperson.
- Strategic thinker and ability to understand workplace dynamics.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities, organize workload, and take initiative.
This job requires:
- Some travel and attendance at out of office events.
- A valid driver’s license in the state of residence and access to an operational motor vehicle that is currently insured.
Nurse Representative #
Attention Registered Nurses: Are you seeking a change and ready for a challenge? WSNA may be what you’re looking for!
We are offering an exciting opportunity for an experienced registered nurse who wants to shift their career path a bit.
- Are you interested in helping nurses advocate for and empower each other to enforce their collective bargaining agreement leading to meaningful changes in the workplace?
- Are you interested in being part of the solutions nurses desperately need to ensure their ability to practice safely?
- Are you interested in using your knowledge, skills and nursing experience to recruit, organize and inspire nurses throughout Washington State?
- Are you ready to educate and advise nurses to fulfill their potential as advocates for the profession by helping them develop the tools they need to be respected in the collaborative problem-solving process?
WSNA is now accepting applications for the Nurse Representative position. This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement and is an office-based position in the Spokane area.
We are seeking an experienced registered nurse to work in our labor program. Union background is preferred. Flexible schedule and travel are required.